Saturday, January 12, 2013

Why?

I remember, as a teen, hearing a preacher preach that we should never ask God "why".  I wish I could say that I remember clearly the text and context of the message he preached that day.  One thing I can say that I remember is that he drilled that central point home in my mind.  
As I have looked back on my life since that point, I have told myself over and over again, "Don't ask God why!"  I have found that to be very difficult to practice in my personal life.  I have instead tried to ask God "what" instead of "why".  "God, what are you trying to teach me in this trial I am facing?"  I have had to ask God "what" when my parents filed for bankruptcy and we lost the roller skating rink that we owned.  I asked God "what" when close friends of mine got into serious trouble and had to be kicked out of school.  Again, when I learned my parents were getting a divorce.  I had to ask God "what!"
Looking back now, I see many times, even still, that I must ask God "what" rather than "why".  I have learned though that it is not sin to ask God "why".  It is only sin when we fight against God's plan and working in our lives/  You see, God is our Heavenly Father.  Nobody loved you more than God Almighty!  Not even that boyfriend/girlfriend or best friend.  God want nothing but the best for you in your life.  Sometimes those "trials" you are facing may seem to be impossible to make it through, but God is making you into the man or lady of God that He intends for you to become!
~Kurt Copeland  Youth Pastor of Franklin Road Baptist Church, Murfreesboro, TN  

This is a devotional I read just the other day.  It applied to my life so much, I feel like I could have written it. I once heard a message on asking God "why" and the thought I took home was that I could ask, and it might even help to ask "why".  But it needs to be "why is this trial in my life" and not questioning God's motives.  I don't know if that makes sense, but oh well... It does for me :)
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for leaving a comment! Please make sure that there is no language or inappropriate comments! Thanks :) :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers